Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pumpkins, Leaves and Letter L

Sorry about no posting last week! It was one of the busiest weeks I've had in a long time!

This week we learned about letter Ll. We did a sticky note search (I'm addicted to sticky notes) where I write different letters on sticky notes and then we identified the letter and did different things once they found them--for example, if you have a letter P put your sticky note on Ms. Jamie's face. Stuff like that.

We used PlaDough to make the letters L and l and also a few other letters. It was a fun, yet educational activity. It's also good for fine motor skills. On Thursday we made lion puppets.

Have I shared with you why we make an art project for the letter? My philosophy is that the more opportunities for students to make connections to everything we are learning the better the chances that what we are learning will stick. So if I show students what the letter looks like, who has it in their name, how to write it, words that begin with that letter, and then do the art project, all the while emphasizing the letter we are learning, that's just more opportunities to learn the letter.

*Remember you can click on the collages to see them bigger.*

We also did leaf rubbings (Tuesday) and a leaf collage on Thursday. I had made a PowerPoint presentation about leaves with different pictures of leaves that we saw on Tuesday.

And here is the bulletin board we made last week with the pumpkins. The students helped me to cut and tear the pieces of tissue paper and then we glued them on. Also, note that I try to help the students to be successful with the least amount of direct help possible. Meaning, if we are cutting out a pumpkin, and your child will do it himself/herself and can be successful, I don't physically touch the project. Sometimes students are insistent that I help cut, and I do, but I give the child every opportunity to do it first. Several of the students pumpkins were cut out completely on their own. So even though there's lots of white space and some jagged lines, I hope you parents are proud of your student for doing something that was probably a little hard for him/her.

Somehow I missed getting Lilli's name by her pumpkin! Sorry Lilli!

I think I have a few more pictures from last week--probably on my other camera--I will try to get on soon. Thanks for your patience!
Posted by Picasa


No comments:

Post a Comment