Thursday, May 3, 2012

Plants and Seeds

This week we began reviewing all of our letters. I can't believe the school year is almost over! Crazy!

For science we talked about plants and seeds. On Tuesday, I had a big poster that showed pictures of different plants and had the seed next to it. We talked about how some of the seeds were big and some were small, some were round, some were more pointed. Then we talked about plants and seeds that are foods. I named off some different foods and the students had to tell me if it grows from a seed or if it comes from somewhere else, like an animal or if we make it. It was funny to see some of the reactions to different foods. For example, most students didn't realize lettuce was a plant. (I think it's because most people don't grow lettuce in their gardens around here. They knew the more commonly grown ones, like apples, tomatoes, pumpkins, etc...)

Today we talked about the three things a plant needs to grow (sun, soil, water). Then we planted our own seeds. They are just bean seeds; I wanted something that would sprout and show growth quickly. :)

The students were super excited about their plants. I hope they all grow!

Morning class with their plants. 

Tyler T., Corbin, and Tyler O. planting their seeds.

Afternoon class with their seeds. 





No comments:

Post a Comment