Saturday, October 6, 2012

Week 5--Transportation

Great week! Although the field trip didn't work out, we did have two special visitors that I think worked out even better!

I am going to upload the pictures and then just commentate, okay? P.S. When you are looking at the pictures wondering what kind of mother sends her child to school in pajamas, realize it's ME! Jack insisted that he wear his Buzz Lightyear pajamas, and although we had many "discussions" I finally gave up. He told me, "But my preschool friends haven't seen these clothes." Oh well. I guess my child's main job in life is to keep me humble. 

Wednesday in the AM class we did a Tt sound page. They had a half sheet of paper with 8 pictures on it, two of the pictures did not begin with Tt and the other six did. They thought throwing away the "tricky" pictures was pretty funny. They did really well with this! Also we did a bus sizing activity. They had to put the buses in order from smallest to largest. This was a little trickier for them. 

 Miss Amanda (Alexis and Riley's mom) brought the Twinkie van to show us. She came Wednesday morning and then Thursday afternoon. She even gave the students doughnuts! We talked about how the back didn't have seats in it, and how it was bigger than the normal cars. The students mostly liked seeing the food in the back. :) A huge thanks to her and her dad!
 Here is our train activity. This was one of those activities that seemed great, and worked great when I did it with just my two little ones, but I probably won't do again. So in the morning class, I traced each child's hand and arm (you can see a picture of me tracing Ava's hand--Tyler was the photographer) onto their choice of colored construction paper. Then I had them cut the pieces into squares, and we glued them on and added wheels, people, etc... They actually really seemed to enjoy the "decorating" part, and I was impressed with how much detail they added to their trains. I felt like it took too much time, though, so I made it a little easier and less time consuming for the afternoon class by pre-cutting the squares. Then when they came in I just traced their hands and then we did squares. After the excitement of the Twinkie truck and the ambulance, I couldn't get several of the afternoon kids to come back and add wheels to their trains, so sorry if you were wondering what their art project was!
 On Thursday I put the fire truck out for the students to play in. They really enjoyed that!
 Here is our super awesome visitor, Von. He was so great to bring the ambulance down and let the kids go through it. My favorite was when one of the girls in the afternoon class wanted to show him her new bag. Without skipping a beat he said, "Cute!" I told you he was awesome!

He showed the students around the inside of the ambulance. We talked to them about why we need an ambulance, how we get one (calling 911) and why they use sirens. The students seemed fascinated and a little freaked out by all the medical supplies, like the needles, on board.

Before Von turned on the siren, we got them all off the ambulance and told them to cover their ears. So if you know Von, let him know how much we all appreciate it!



No comments:

Post a Comment